Topic: Vanguard Group, The

When I check my .qfx files, they indicate that the FID for The Vanguard Group is 1358. Please update the listing to include this FID.

Re: Vanguard Group, The

I read elsewhere that vanguard is/was using OFX 2.  After banging my head against the wall for a couple of hours trying to make their server respond to v2 (XML) requests, it turns out their server is only responding to OFX version 1.02 (SGML) requests.  FYI.

For the record I have seen some vanguard files using OFX 2.  When I download information from vanguard I personally get OFX 1.02.

Jesse, I've seen the same elsewhere on the net, but those posts were dated circa-2008.  Since then, I'm guessing vanguard "downgraded" their OFX connection due to popular demand/software compatibility.

Any ideas on how to connect to VG via OFX 2?  This is pretty much just for my own edification at this point; I'm just happy i can connect. 

TIA!

No ideas.  I wonder if OFX 1.02 will ever be superseded by 2.0?  Pure XML is easier to parse but everyone seems to have gotten around the SGML difficulties.

Of note - when using pure OFX, I had to leave out the FI_ID to be able to connect - worked great afterward.

Cheers,
El Deuce

Starting around July 2017 Vanguard seems to respond with an empty response now (but still a 200 return code signalling no error).  To get the data you need to reissue the request with the cookies it sets in the response.  I added this to my fork of ofx-ba-tfb.py:

response = res.read()
            res.close()
--- start new code ---
            # Vangaurd requres the request to have cookies it sets
            # (returns empty 200 response the first time)
            if (len(response) == 0):
                cookies = res.getheader('Set-Cookie')
                response_cookies = [c.split("; ")[0] for c in cookies.split(", ")]
                h.request('POST', selector, query,
                    { "Content-type": "application/x-ofx",
                      "Accept": "*/*, application/x-ofx",
                      "Cookie": "; ".join(response_cookies)
                    })
                res = h.getresponse()
                response = res.read()
                res.close()
--- end new code ---
            f = file(name,"w")
            f.write(response)
            f.close()

I was able to connect to Vanguard using the details from the OFX Home listing.

It looks like they will accept any version of OFXv1/v2, but they need newline characters to be inserted between tags.  I had no issue with cookies.

Ah, looks like Vanguard's parsing requirements are actually this:

If you send OFXv1 with SGML-style unclosed elements, then you need newlines.  If you use closing tags, then you can either insert newlines or not; either will work.

They need newlines for OFXv2.

Strange.

I have two Vanguard account I've been accessing using OFX with KMyMoney for several years.  I noticed they hadn't downloaded any new transactxions since the end of last year.  When I finally looged into the website, they had liquidated both accounts and transferred the funds to new, replacement accounts.  Website access is fine, but trying to map the new accounts, after I enter the login credentials (actually for my wife) I am presented with two possible accounts, both at FIDELITY and both belonging to me, not to my wife.  I am reqesting for FID 15103, but getting results for FID 7776.  I feel like I'm caught in a wormhole.

Any explanations?  (I have not yet fired up Wireshark to see what is actually transpiring in the conversation between my client and Vanguard.

I'm no longer getting those Fidelity results, but just "no suitable accounts ...." although it looks to me (using KMyMoney) that it just isn't returning anything, but certainly no error messages.  I've resorted to web connect - more clicks and typing, but fewer headaches.