Topic: Creating an automatic download feature.

I'm considering integrating OFXHome with my web app (http://budgety.net) to allow my users to automatically download transactions into their Budget.

There are a few things I need to know, first, I believe I can dig the required OFX information that needs to be passed to the OFX server out of the Java OFXGet source, but if you have any tips on that, it'd be great! Also, is there any way we can get the source for the latest version? Or has much changed since version 0.1?

Second, when was the last time this list was updated? And how active is this project? I'm just wanting to know if I can expect reasonable growth on this project. smile

I may have more questions, but that'll get me off to a good start!

Re: Creating an automatic download feature.

The project is still ongoing and won't end any time soon.  I only released the ofxget program as open source a month ago.  The web API has been available for a long time now.  Do you intend to periodically refresh your OFX database using the web API?  If so there shouldn't be any issues.

The API is also described here:  http://www.ofxhome.com/api.txt.  It's pretty simple.  The difficult thing is interpreting the OFX data from each institution.  In my experience each institution implements OFX slightly differently.

3 (edited by Beau 2010-03-20 05:30:52)

Yes, I'll most likely be pulling the data periodically using the API.

I guess my questions had more to do with the HTTPS calls to the bank's OFX server, and the OFX headers and content that need to be sent along with that request for authentication, etc.

Thank you for the reply!

Ah, gotcha.  You can read through the java code.  There is also some python code floating around.

I doubt there's even such a thing, but is there any "test credentials" for any bank at all? I'm looking to do some heavy duty testing.

I dont think there would be any test credentials, the ofx spec does say that you could use anonymous00000000000000000000000 as username and password to connect to FIs but I have seen that not all FIs support this.

Beau wrote:

I'm considering integrating OFXHome with my web app (http://budgety.net) to allow my users to automatically download transactions into their Budget.

There are a few things I need to know, first, I believe I can dig the required OFX information that needs to be passed to the OFX server out of the Java OFXGet source, but if you have any tips on that, it'd be great! Also, is there any way we can get the source for the latest version? Or has much changed since version 0.1?

Second, when was the last time this list was updated? And how active is this project? I'm just wanting to know if I can expect reasonable growth on this project. smile

I may have more questions, but that'll get me off to a good start!

Hi Beau,

To be honest, this project is not very active.  Most of my free time is spent on a stock tracking tool called Icarra.  Version 0.1 is the latest version.

Security is the real danger when downloading OFX data from a web app.  If the user provides you their account information then this could make you a likely target for phishers, hackers, etc.  There are a lot of things that can go wrong and I would think it through very careful.

my 1 tricks for chrome user : Time to disable Google Chrome from opening downloads automatically. To to this select the menu button in Chrome > Settings. Then scroll to the very bottom of the screen and select Advanced Settings. You will then see as in the image below an option to clear auto-opening settings, click this button. "You can read through the java code"

Onedrive
Right click the file, for which you want to create download URL, then select share.
Then, click on 'Get a link'.
Under 'Choose an option' select 'Public'.
Click on 'Create link'.
Now, you will be given a link. Use that to create direct link.

Security is the real danger when downloading OFX data from a web app.  If the user provides you their account information then this could make you a likely target.

Thanks

My name is Hridoy KhaN is a 25-year-old Blogger from India. My blog Techlifeware . He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. Constantly funny – Randomly Serious!