Topic: Looking for a new owner for OFX Home

Hello Dear Users,

I am looking for someone to take over ownership of OFX Home. I am happy to see that it still has value to many people despite the inadequate work I put into it. I hope that the site can thrive under a new owner.

I am not looking for monetary compensation. In fact I will stipulate that this site should never receive any revenue or earn money of any kind.

The handoff process will look like this:
1) Email me through the forum with a critique of the site. What would you improve over the next month and over the next year?
2) What are your developer credentials?
3) I will choose a potential new owner, ideally within the next two months (end of October).
4) I will grant the new owner development access for one month.
5) If the improvement identified in #1 is completed within one month then I will grant full access to the site.
6) If the site is well managed over the next 6 months then I will transfer the domain ownership completely. The site will be yours.

A few things to know:
- OFX Home is written in php using the code igniter framework.
- I would give the overall code quality a B-. It’s simple and very stable but not particularly elegant and lacks thorough testing.
- The site can run on a typical shared hosting platform. Requirements are minimal.

Feel free to ask additional questions or clarifications through email. I’m happy to discuss further.

Jesse

Re: Looking for a new owner for OFX Home

I had a few nice discussions with potential owners but nothing worked out. Thanks to anyone who contacted me about this.

I expect to have some more time to develop this site in the coming weeks. Look for new and interesting changes.

My first goal is to finish a new ofx downloading tool that I've been working on.

Jesse wrote:

I had a few nice discussions with potential owners but nothing worked out. Thanks to anyone who contacted me about this.

I expect to have some more time to develop this site in the coming weeks. Look for new and interesting changes.

My first goal is to finish a new ofx downloading tool that I've been working on.

Jesse, how's your ofx tool development going?

4 (edited by lovettchris 2021-10-10 14:50:34)

Hi Jesse,

I'm interested, but I'd want to see the code first, can you publish it on github?  I'd be more inclined to port it to node.js since I'm more familiar with that, and I want to simplify the "forum" side of it since I didn't see a lot of useful discussions happening there anyway.  I would recommend switching all the forum activity to a "github" issues list and let github host all that functionality for us.  You can email me at lovettsoftware.com where my email alias is 'chris'.  I also have a website at lovettsoftware.com where I also have a link to a full money program I wrote with a friend that uses ofxhome.com, see https://github.com/clovett/MyMoney.net/wiki.

I'm also interested in taking over and I tried using the form to send an email but it fails.

Hi Jesse,

First of all, THANK YOU so much for all the work you have done on this project and making the information available to the general public. It was and still is extremely valuable to me for learning about and implementing OFX. I'm sorry to see you go and to lose this valuable resource.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time and specific skill set to take over where you left off.

I'm hoping there is a way for me to bulk download the information on all the financial institutions you have in the database. If I missed that functionality on your website, please point me in the right direction. If bulk downloading doesn't exist, is there a chance I could download it from you some other way before you retire the site.

Thanks again for all your hard work,

Steve Kilgore